Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Finally got heckled/The 7 day work week/H1N1

I was finally heckled by a Bostonian (well technically just someone from New England) today. I was walking home from my rotation and a guy yelled out his truck window "Hot day for a suit buddy!" His statement was true, but I wasn't wearing a suit (although I did have on a tie so that is pretty close).  Because he was at a stop light I had time to respond "yeah, tell it to my boss." I was proud to receive a heckle and to also be able to respond with a moderately witty come back. The guy looked at me like I had a good point. I don't really control what I wear to work and we both knew it.

I guess technically it is not "work" in that sense because I do not get paid. I am learning by doing the work that I will some day get paid to do... and because I am learning I pay to do the work.  I wonder sometimes if I have fallen for some kind of educational pyramid scheme. At least I get paid for 20 hours of the 60 hours that I spend in the pharmacy each week.

Melissa and I have had colds for a couple weeks now and I have been reading a book about the Spanish flu, the outbreak started in 1918. It was actually a variant of the influenza H1N1 virus but it had 24 million casualties (versus 14,200 casualties in 2009). I guess a century can make a world of difference, really only 91 years.  The 1918 outbreak was when doctors discovered that keeping sick people in separate rooms would help slow the transmission of disease (among other things), it would have been nice to be a doctor back then... I totally would have thought of that one. Up until that point (and actually still during the outbreak and throughout WWI, with so many people they didn't have a choice) they just kept people in big open spaces. I can't help coming back to the point that some things in history seem so obvious now, and I am eager to see what will be obvious to us in the future. Anyway, I guess their attempt at flu, measles, and pneumococcal vaccinations/treatments involved 500 mg IV infusions, of a serum isolated from horse blood, twice over a two week period (and I was complaining about the pinch I felt when Melissa gave me a trivalent influenza vaccination that was a total of 0.5 mL)... what a difference a century makes.

No comments: