Friday, October 16, 2009

Mondongo

Pig intestine, it’s a delicacy down here for some reason and until tonight I had been able to avoid it without any problems. My friend came over to play cards and I was eating pasta with butter and Parmesan cheese like I always do. I asked him if he wanted some and he said yes because he never had eaten Spaghettis like that before. I gave him half the bowl and he returned 15 minutes later with something his wife had cooked that I had never tried before. Mondongo is the name for pig intestine, he didn’t tell me what it was until after I had my first bite. It was chewy. I gave him half of my spaghettis so naturally he gave me half of the intestine dish. I ate it all and it was considerably better than the pig snout that I had eaten six months back, I think because cartilage is really gross to chew while intestine is just kind of spongy. It also looked a lot different than I thought; it was braided together as if the butcher who prepared it was a 5-year-old girl. I suppose it was more visually pleasing that way, when it was all knotted up it was less like an intestine and more of a bite of some mystery organ. I still don’t know how they can clean out the inside of the intestines before preparing it; I think they gave us a hepatitis A vaccination during training so I should be ok either way. And by ok I mean only suffering violent spells of diarrhea for 24 to 72 hours.

1 comment:

Katie Reed said...

No matter how you say it or braid it... it still sounds yucky!!! I promise never to fix it here for you!!