Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Grandma has adventures too

I got this email from my grandma the other day in reference to my mouse and cockroach problem. I thought it was pretty good:

Hi Chris,

I can relate to your home living environment. When I first moved to Japan we lived on the local economy, in the "town" of Ganosu on on the southernmost island of Kyushu. The kids, Jerry and Cindy, were small, two years old and 3 months old. I kept a fly swatter in the kitchen to swat the mice with to stun them so I could dispose of them. I seem to remember dispatching 26 mice in the few short weeks we lived in that house. They would run across the cupboard and stove right in front of me. I had traps everywhere. I got pretty good at it. Then we paid a rental deposit of $300 and had a brand new house built in Saitozaki on the other side of Brady Air Base. It had wooden floors and tile in the kitchen and the mouse population was considerably smaller. It wasn't a grand house but a Japanese/American mixed style in that it had bamboo cross pieces with mud for the inner walls. Then they plastered over them and it appeared fairly civilized once the mud and plaster dried after about of week. I doubt that they are still standing.

Well enough of ancient history. I enjoyed your blog entry.


Love, G-Flo

No comments: