Friday, October 24, 2008

Friday Mornings

That's today, I think I am going crazy or the community is playing some sort of sick prank on me. Every week I ask which day of the week is garbage day, and every week they tell me a different day. Two weeks ago it was saturday and wednesday, last week they told me monday and friday, this week as I went to put out my garbage on the street a lady told me that it is monday and saturday. I was upset. Getting rid of your garbage in a timely manner has a higher priority in a community filled with rats and cockroaches and in a country that you can't flush toilet paper after you use it.
So, I did what I have been doing for the past few months and I walk with my garbage down towards the center of the city and leave it in one of the garbage cans they have in the streets. Doing this is always a strange experience for everyone because when people on the street see me carrying a plastic bag full of something they assume it is filled with gold and american visas, everyone looks disappointed and confused when I put it in the garbage can. Also, when you put your garbage out on the street you don't put it in a can. You just put it out on the ground and a guy comes and shovels it up a couple hours later. It's kind of messy, but it works for the most part. On the subject of garbage, I also wanted to make a note that people in this country only create 1/3 as much garbage as people in developed countries. The problem is that the management of the garbage can be a bit problematic. I read in Newsweek a couple weeks ago that the Dominican Republic ranked 33rd on the worlds list of green countries and the United states ranked 39th. I'd like to think this is because I moved here and made a huge difference, but really its because the United States produces way more green house gases.
Also, shout out to Brad Kilbey for the ziploc bags a couple of months ago. I put food in them. I was told by a friend that I should start putting my dishes and silverware in to plastic containers also. I guess some people consider roaches and mice climbing around on your dishware gross. I think its dangerous, in a cool way, like bungie jumping.

No comments: