Thursday, July 17, 2008

The 4th

I left Constanza at 5 in the morning, got to the capital at 9:15 and then left the capital at 1. We got to Pedernales at 9 at night. I thought about how much time I spent traveling on the 3rd of July this year and realized I could have driven Los Angeles from Portland with that much time. When we first arrived I wasn’t sure if it was worth it because it was just a town in the middle of nowhere a couple of hours from the Haitian border, there was a park where we finished a few Presidentes and got to catch up with eachother (there where about 60 volunteers meeting up for the fourth of July and about 15 where from my training group), but drinking and catching up can happen just as easily in the capital.
The next day we set out on a couple of big farming trucks and drove for another hour until we hit the coast, from there we hopped on five or six little passanger boats and they took us to B’Hai de Las Aguilas (I think that is spelled right). Once I got there I figured out what we had been doing all the traveling for; there were the sixty of us, on a completely secluded beach with a perfectly blue ocean and calm waves. After eating my lunch of sardines and a peanut butter and Rolo sandwich there was nothing to do but relax and enjoy the fourth of July. There was a lot of hanging out in the ocean. I did some snorkeling and I found a starfish. To make things a little more American there was a game of football played between the new kids and the veterans (the new kids won, but I have no bragging rights because I opted for a game of dominoes on the side line instead). Also, my friend Tim spent the afternoon walking around with a little American Flag that looked like it belonged on a cake or in a bouquet of red, white and blue flowers; apparently drinking boosts his patriotism.
I applied sun screen three times that day and didn’t get sunburned.

1 comment:

Nathaly said...

Hi Christopher,

You don't know me, but I ran across your blog because it was cross-linked with an article on the Dominican Republic conservation incentives program on Global Voices.

I'm writing to you because I'm very interested in the work your doing in the DR as well as connecting with some of the other Peace Corps volunteers on the ground.

By way of full disclosure, there are a couple reasons I'm reaching through this cyber-realm to contact you, a perfect stranger - I hope you don't mind me bothering you with personal/professional requests!

I'm a dominican-born, US-raised environmentalist, working on a new climate change campaign, www.350.org. We're pretty much a bunch of recent college grads hoping to change the world, much as i'm sure you are (since you joined the peace corps!). Please check out our website and tell me what you think!

As for my personal reason for this comment-post, I would love to do the Peace Corps in the DR and want to thank you for your insights!

If you want, I would love to continue this conversation over email, skype or on the phone. Is there any chance we could chat a bit more about your assignment?

Cheers,

Nathaly
nathaly@350.org