Wednesday, April 30, 2008

My assignment (at last)

I made it to my site yesterday, I recieved my official Peace Corps phone and my official `peace corp assignment! The site is named Las Flores and it is actually a barrio of a larger town named Constanza. I actually live in another part of Constanza called the Spanish Colony (conolia espaƱol). There is a group of youth here called the Ecoclub and my project partner is the president of the branch in this province. The group has been pretty cool so far, from what I can make of it, it is a Argentine foundation that works with youth and the environment. The kids here asked for a Peace corps volunteer for leadership and here I am. Between the five ¨colonies¨´ in Constanza there are about 100 youth, tomorrow I get to meet with the leaders of the five groups here and we get to plan out an activity for saturday. There are eight k thru 8th grade schools here and one highschool. I talked to a principal and a few teachers today about teaching chemistry and physics to the students in the highschool and also the teachers at the elementary school. I am really excited to spend some time in the classroom because when Jenna and I taught a class on Earthday last week we totally rocked it. However, right now everything is still very much up in the air and I don´t really know where or what I will be doing in the next few months. I do know that today we went to a soccer game and I am getting on the ecoclub team when they start it up, which will be sweet.
Also, this town is very much like portland and a little bit like Flagstaff too. We are way up in the mountains and there are a lot of pine trees and a lot of rain. This area is also known as the breadbasket of the carribean, which means there are a lot of fruits and vegies being grown all over... the only bad part about it is that they grow a lot of onions so it smells kind of like onions and I am not a fan onions.

2 comments:

Heather W. said...

Congrats on getting your assignment, hopefully they'll give you some details soon! Another friend may be moving to the DR, so we may have another reason to consider a visit....

Molly said...

You're in Constanza! I am so jealous. I wanted to be there. I did my training there and lived in the Colonia Espanola with a women named Carmen. Perhaps you've met here. She's probably pissed at me because I haven't been in touch in a while. Anyways, hope you're enjoying it, it's a beautiful place!