Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The leap of faith

The excitement has begun, I am in Washington, D.C. for the next 7 hours and then its off to Santo Domingo. Things have been moving fast ever since last week. With the trip to San Francisco, San Jose, Santa Barbara and Los Angeles last weekend, the goodbye this weekend and the trip to D.C. for staging two days ago, there has not been much time to collect my thoughts or close my eyes for more than a few hours.
I am happy to be starting the next chapter of my life. However, I am a little nervous about the new language and the change from the temperate Willamette valley to the sweltering heat of the Carribean. Within the next 48 hours I will get to see my new home for the next 3 months and meet my host family. I think I am going to buy some spices from the World Market down the street as a gift and a thank you for their hospitality. Rumor has it that Dominican cuisine can lack spice, so maybe they won't want it... who knows!
That is really the best part of the next week for me, that I really have no idea what to expect. The good thing is that I am putting together the next two years piece by piece. Over the last 24 hours I have got to know the other 35 Peace Corp Volunteers that I will be traveling and training with, and I think I like them! Everyone is from a very different background and a different part of the U.S., but because we all share a very similar passion (and fate for the next 2 years) it is really easy to get along.

No comments: